American Durafilm Now Distributing Highly Functional Tedlar® Film
It’s been around for 50 years. You see it every day. You drive by it in your car as you glance up to see the myriad advertisement signs flashing by. You may even be sitting on it … right now … in the subway. Or perhaps the sun is too bright on that flight you are taking, so you pull the Tedlar® shade down to ease the glare of the sun. Hospital air smells clean and stays sterile, in part, because of it. Accurate measurements of gas components have been possible because Tedlar® gas sampling bags were doing their job. If you’re a manufacturer and are reading this, you may already know some of the “everyday” uses of this vastly diverse film.
DuPont™ Tedlar® polyvinyl fluoride (PVF) film is a biaxially-oriented, highly functional, stable film that provides long-lasting finish. This high-performance material is sought after extensively for a wide variety of industrial market surfaces.
What It Does and Why
It’s the properties of Tedlar® that makes it so extraordinary. Here’s a rundown of some of what Tedlar® can do—and why.
- Due to its inert and non-stick properties, Tedlar® is an excellent release film when processing parts under high temperature and pressure.
- With the ability to handle exposure to harsh environments, Tedlar® is an outstanding protective film for applications like architectural substrates and, high-voltage electrical power situations.
- Tedlar® offers long-lived gloss retention creating easy-to-clean surfaces.
- As a result of superior UV absorption, Tedlar® keeps the integrity, color, and brilliance of exterior surface graphics intact.
- By not supporting the growth of mold and mildew, Tedlar® can be widely used in hospital ductwork.
- Tedlar® is certified for incidental food contact by the FDA, making it an excellent protectant for wall surfaces in food service areas.
- Its chemical inertness and resistance to gas permeation makes Tedlar® a top choice for scientific pursuits that require gas sample bags.
- Among other properties, its lightweight, flexible, and low flammability characteristics make it great fit for the aerospace industry. Tedlar® PVF film is conformable and can be embossed and printed, making it a versatile material for use in passenger areas in airplanes.
Along with everything mentioned above, other features of Tedlar® are:
- Hydrolytic stability
- High dielectric strength and dielectric constant
- Excellent protective covering
- High temperature resistance
- Chemical, solvent, and stain resistant
- Easy to clean, non-stick
- Corrosion, crack, and fade resistant
- High tensile strength
- High elongation
- Controlled shrinkage
- Compatible with many classes of adhesives
- Highly conformable
- Easily embossed; maintains high pattern definition
- Available in range of color and gloss options
American Durafilm® Co., Inc. is now a stocking distributor for the types of DuPont™ Tedlar® PVF film listed below:
- TST20SG4 (gas sample bags)
- TGY85SL2 (HVAC duct work)
- TWH10BS3, TGY20BE3, TWH20BS3, TTR10BG3, TCW20BE5 (aircraft interiors)
We stock Tedlar® PVF film at 64" wide and offers slitting to any custom dimension and rewinding down to .375" in width. These films are available in gray, white, clear, opaque, and yellow.
Tedlar® PVF film also comes with different surface characteristics—allowing for one-sided or two-sided adherence for bonding to a wide variety of substrates and is compatible with many classes of adhesives, including polyester, epoxies, rubbers, and pressure-sensitive mastic. See the Tedlar® webpage for more info about applications, the types/data, and grades available.
The experienced personnel at American Durafilm® Co., Inc. offer extensive knowledge of available materials and processes for viable solutions across many markets and industries. Our staff work closely with scientists, engineers, and designers to create new and innovative fabrication techniques to meet the most stringent specifications and designs. We have extensive experience in heat sealing, thermoforming, die cutting, sheeting, cylinder manufacture, and laminates. Our clean room allows us to provide products of the highest quality, while paying the greatest attention to the environment under which these critical components are manufactured.
We’d be happy to answer any film and fabrications questions you may have. Contact us to get the conversation started.